Ross Prieto Bio/Wiki
Residents were reassured in 2018 by a local inspector who said the building that fell in Miami last week was in “very good shape.” According to an NPR article, the fire happened just a month after an engineer advised that the high-rise had serious structural issues that needed to be repaired.
As inhabitants slept, the 12-story Champlain Towers South in Surfside partially collapsed, killing at least nine individuals and left more than 150 people missing. Rescue personnel is working around the clock, searching through the rubble for signs of life as the chances of finding additional survivors dwindle.
The underground parking garage had substantial concrete deterioration, as well as major structural damage in the concrete slab beneath the pool deck, according to a 2018 assessment issued by an engineering firm for the condominium building.
In the article it says town officials say building official Ross Prieto, who said the building was fine despite damning report, is no longer employed by them but he’s there right now on their website… pic.twitter.com/e2LCeHXalz
— LippyLlama (@LippyLlama) June 27, 2021
He is around 55-60 years old.
Ross Prieto Surfside Inspector Full Details
If the damage is not fixed soon, the engineer, Frank Morabito, predicted that it will “grow exponentially.”
According to minutes of the meeting obtained first by NPR, Ross Prieto, a Surfside inspector who had examined the report, met with tenants the next month and told them that the building was secure. According to NPR, Prieto is no longer employed with Surfside. He could not be reached by Reuters, but he told the Miami Herald that he did not recall receiving the report. Prieto said the meeting went “very well” and that the response from locals was “positive” in an email to the town manager the morning after the meeting in 2018. The cause of the collapse is still being looked into.
The faults documented in the 2018 report were clearly the principal cause of the accident, according to Gregg Schlesinger, a lawyer, and former general contractor who specialized in construction failure cases. However, Donna DiMaggio Berger, a condo association lawyer, said the problems were typical of older buildings in the region and did not concern the board members, who all lived in the tower with their families.
In 2020, the building hired Morabito’s business to draft a 40-year building maintenance plan. After 40 years, structures in Florida are required to undergo a recertification process.
— Tammy Motola 🍋❤️🍋 (@tmotola) June 24, 2021
Roof repairs were beginning at the time of the collapse, according to Morabito Consultants, but concrete restoration had not yet begun. The firm said, “We are deeply troubled by this building collapse and are working closely with the investigating authorities to understand why the structure failed,”
Any indicators of degradation, according to Jason Borden, a structural expert who assessed the structure last year, are usual for buildings in the beachside neighborhood and not bad enough to raise red flags, according to CNN on Monday.
How Many People Dead In Miami Condo Tower Collapse?
At least four people have died as a result of the tragedy, which has been sinking at an “alarming rate” since the 1990s, according to experts. Three individuals were retrieved from the rubble overnight, according to officials, but 159 people have yet to be found. Stacie Fang 1st Victim of Miami Condo Tower Collapse.
Stacie Fang, the mother of the 15-year-old boy who was miraculously rescued from the rubble, was reported as the first victim of the collapse yesterday. After being rescued from the rubble, the 54-year-old succumbed to her injuries and died at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center.
Jonah Handler, her son, was rescued by firefighters shortly after the apartment building collapsed, and the moment was captured on camera.
Officials announced on Friday that three persons were retrieved from the rubble overnight, leaving 159 people missing. On Friday, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cara stated that 120 persons have been located.
Officials acknowledged that three bodies had been recovered from the rubble overnight, but added that rescue personnel “focus efforts” in an area whenever they hear a sound. Despite the fact that the fire rekindled during the night, search and rescue activities continued.
Crews detected sounds in the rubble overnight, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Ray Jadallah. He said: “We are listening for sounds, human sounds and tapping.”