Who is Ellen Raffell? Ellen Raffell Bio/Wiki
After collapsing at her home in Blyth, Newcastle, in October 2019, Ellen Raffell sadly died as a result of a food allergy.
An investigation into her death heard at Newcastle Coroner’s Court how she had consumed pomegranate seeds, a cheese sandwich, and a range of snacks from an oriental store before Ellen went into cardiac arrest.
She was 16 years old.
Allergic Reaction Details
Dr. Rachel Agbeko, the pediatric intensive care specialist at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, said some of the medical backgrounds of Ellen showed that she had already had a nut reaction and testing revealed positive signs in her system for nuts, fish, and shellfish.
Senior Coroner Karen Dilks of Newcastle said that Ellen had an “anaphylactic reaction to the food she had eaten” and concluded that she died from natural causes.
In October 2019, Ellen unexpectedly went into cardiac arrest, causing her parents to start performing CPR before paramedics arrived. She was transported to the Royal Victoria Infirmary Intensive Care Unit in Newcastle, but four days later, she died peacefully.
The inquiry was told how medics originally assumed that she had an asthma attack because she had exacerbations for several years in and out of the hospital. Later, as a result of the food she had consumed before her death, they found out the teenager had a serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.
Ellen’s parents, called Ellen’s Gift of Hope, have launched a charity to help children in the North East who face difficulties in life due to health conditions, special needs, and disabilities.
Last year, through a number of events with an aim of raising £25,000 in 2021, a total of £12,000 was raised.
Delyth and Graham, her parents, told Chronicle Live: “It’s difficult to put into words. It’s like part of you is missing. You can’t fix it. There is nothing you can do to bring her back. That is why the charity is vital to keep her name alive and let people remember her.’’